Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Arizona Journals 1

4.26.09

We picked up the moving van and had a hell of a day emptying that house! Friends showed up from out of the blue and pitched in, and it was a beautiful thing. People were all over the place helping us and we were grateful for it. We didn't think it would go well at all, with the little bit of time we had to prepare. The exodus from Michigan was difficult to orchestrate in the beginning, but once I had secured a job we had precious little time to get that ball rolling.

Our plans to sell off our unwanted possessions fell away, and instead we gave most of it away. Two televisions, an entertainment center, refrigerator, washer and dryer, sleeping bags, a tent, inflatable boat and mattresses, camp stove and lantern, 9 bags of clothes, two bags of shoes, five winter coats, 50 books and some glasses. We gave it all away. At first it was a bit tough, but soon we got on a roll and we just had so much fun with it! I was glad to see people getting things that they needed, and also people who have helped us in the past were on the receiving end this time. It made everyone happy

There were cookies and pie from my mother-in-law, water and soda to keep everyone going. Lots of hugs and tears, worries and fears. Long, silent smiles as we looked into the faces of our friends and families, not wanting to say how much we would miss each other. This was so much harder than I thought it would be.

I had spent the entire previous week preparing for the 1995 mile drive with the cat in the van with us, (the cat who won't come out when people come over or even so much as venture out the back door for fear of virtually everything. Now she's going in a van for days and days? Crazy). I hadn't shed a single tear as I left the job that I loved, (though I admit I was holding back to the point of discomfort). I spent a week focusing on the things that I wouldn't see anymore: the old, creeky wood floors, the orange walls I painted myself, the 75 year old scary basement with the odd little room I hated going into. I was losing my house and all the pretty flowers that I lovingly planted, but there wasn't an alternative.

Oddly enough, it was the day I went to see the Angie, the wonderful woman who has cut my hair for the last 21 years, that I started crying like a baby. I was so embarrassed, but she had been a friend to me all these years, and I trusted no one but her with my long. blonde locks. That really took me by surprise, albeit a pleasant one.

By the time the 16 foot van was loaded we were tired and crabby, I couldn't find the cat and our bodies ached so bad that it was hard to find the strength to hunt her down in the two story house that we would be driving away from for the last time the next day. She was an excellent hider. With Sophie the cat finally secured, we spent a last night in Michigan at Jim's parent's house. They were all too happy to tend to our needs, doting on us tearfully. It was all so surreal to me. We had talked about leaving Michigan for such a long time that I, myself, no longer believed we would go. But here we were, with all our worldly possessions in a big yellow truck, bound for adventure across America. We were sort of like dorky pioneers.

The last evening in Michigan was spent with Jim's parents and our nephew, Corwin. Two of our dear friends dropped by for a last beer and hugs, and we spoke all the "I'll visit soon", promises. A nice small group. Some more pie and cookies and it was off to bed for the first of what would turn out to be three sleepless nights. The next day our new lives would begin and nothing would ever be recognizable again.

No comments:

Post a Comment